Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Sister, my friend

My sister may not have always been the nicest person to me growing up, but she was my sister and my best friend first and foremost. Yes there were many times that we got on each others nerves, fought like cats and dogs and just frankly annoyed the heck out of each other But we were sisters and that's what sisters do.
I remember a long time ago when we were probably about 8 yrs & 4yrs (I am the youngest) and my Mom & Dad had purchased a new home on the other side of town, a huge two story home where we got to pick our own rooms and decorate them several different ways through the years. Well this one day we (the family) all got in Dad's old '32 ford pick up truck and drove over to the new house.....to check on the construction was Dad's reasoning. Mom's was to plan out where the furniture would go and see the Fields behind the house. Well my Mom took it upon herself to dress both of us girls in these "Holly Hobbie" outfits right down to the hats!! My sister was all for dressing up and pretending to be Laura Ingalls and all, and there I was stuck in this stupid dress with this stupid hat and having to actually wear it. Yes I hated dresses then and still do. Well along comes my sister all dressed in her outfit and she says to me,"come on Jo it's not that bad, do it for Mom please? I'll give you my super ball." Well that sealed the deal! I put on that dress and bonnet and stuck my hand out in anticipation of the 'super ball'. Little did I know that I would never get that ball but instead by going along with my sister, I in turn have one of the fondest memories of her and that time.
I lost my sister when she was only 32yrs. to chicken pox. She left behind two wonderful daughters, they were still very young only 10yrs & 8 yrs. old. It is these memories that I have of their mother that I hope someday they will want too, my Mother and Father have raised them since my Sister's passing and it just really seems that time has slipped away and they have grown up so fast not knowing their Mom as I do.
I miss and cherish my Sister, my Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment