Monday, November 22, 2010

My Fondest Thanksgiving Memory

  When I was a young girl I used to love it when my parents would take me to the Cuyamaca Mountains in southern California. We would go for the change of the seasons from our typical warm non humid days of summer to the crisp clean air of the mountains.
  The colors were beautiful, the open space to roam and explore. Just the shear pleasure of running through the fields with out a care in the world. Turning over rocks to find a salamander....then running back to show my Dad that I wasn't afraid of the creepy crawlies. Unlike my older sister who seemed to have an aversion to the worms, snakes and bugs in general. Then to climbing trees and seeing who can be most daring. Always yelling out to our parents, "Look, Look, Look at me!!"
  I remember one special holiday weekend, I will never forget how my mother worked so hard to prepare our feast picnic. Yes it was Thanksgiving and my parents decided to load up our family van (it was more like a camper to me and my sis) and take us up to the mountains to enjoy nature at it's finest. My Mom had made sure that we had all the usual fixings and items we were use to eating just in a different form. I love the fact that my Mom was creative too back then just as she is today. However she introduced us girls to the best turkey sandwiches ever!! I remember she had made them on pumpernickle bread with sweet mustard, stuffing and fresh cranberries too. Dad made sure to eat 3 or 4 of them before we all decided it was time to take a nap in the cool mountain air.

  It was on this trip to the mountains that I realized seeing the change in the seasons was absolutely beautiful. All the colors of the trees, the hill sides fading from deep reds to lighter oranges with a splash of yellow here and there. The soft rustling of the leaves in the lighter breeze. The smell of nature is so hard to describe but to me it was like the smell of pumpkins, fresh rain and good clean dirt. I know that sounds wierd but I just know the smell to me~kinda like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves simmering on the stop. Just that rustic smell.

                              ~That would be Autumn to me, and still is to this date~
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment